Download our Restorative Justice Brochure which includes the schedule for the Restorative Justice Lecture Series
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
The Social Justice Commission seeks to facilitate awareness of various justice issues, to provide opportunities for education, information, and consciousness-raising about the problems of the poor and powerless. The commission provides opportunities for and encourages the parish community to respond to social needs.
The Mission statement of the Social Justice Commission is derived from the Parish Core Value of Justice, which states, “We commit ourselves to serve others and reach out to the poor in response to their needs. Our work for justice extends to advocating with integrity for positive change in society and the Church.”
What we do?
The two branches of social justice are charity (direct service) and advocacy (networking). Some examples include:
- Parish Food Pantry
- Food Baskets at Thanksgiving / Christmas / Easter
- Giving Heart Christmas gift project
- Homeless Stand Down
- Hunger Center Ministry: St. Aloysius / St. Augustine / Thea Bowman Center
- Eyeglass donations for Cleveland Sight Center
- Cell phone donations for Domestic Violence Center
- Bread for the World Offering of Letters
- Earth Day action for environmental stewardship
- Vote Smart materials on Faithful Citizenship
This year our parish Social Justice Commission has designated children as our focus. Children and Social Justice covers a year of programming on social justice issues which impact children. Topics include:
- Children and the Juvenile Justice System
- Children and the Health Care System
- Children of El Salvador: Life after War
- Children and Immigration
- Children in our Cities
Watch the parish bulletin for details on events and speakers.
If you are interested in education and advocacy around these and other issues, you are invited to join in the work of the Social Justice Commission. Meetings are held once a month. Persons interested in serving may contact Lisa Frey at [email protected] or Lori Miller, commission chairperson.
The Social Justice Commission invites you to visit one or more of the links
below. Each can provide additional information, insights and opportunities
to further your interest and commitment to some of the many social challenges
of our times.
- NETWORK, A National Catholic Social Justice Lobby
- National Catholic Reporter – The Independent Newsweekly
- Pax Christi – The National Catholic Peace Movement
- InterReligious Task Force on Central America
- Esperanza Threads – A local cooperative selling organic apparel and goods
- Bread for the World – Seeking Justice. Ending Hunger.
- Thea Bowman Center